Monday, March 29, 2010

The road goes on

I had a fabulous time with my Grandma and my Mom. We dined and shopped, walked and talked, biked and ran, sang and laughed, relaxed and had a total blast! I'll be puting pictures up on my facebook as soon as I can.
I couldn't have asked for a more special way to celebrate and enjoy my 18th birthday.
Though food was a big part of this trip, I pushed past all my worries and allowed myself to enjoy every taste and treat.
My grandma and I have been going to Solvang since I was a little girl, yet we always find something new and exciting in the quaint, little town. This trip, we discovered a Sushi restaurant that was in walking distance from our hotel (actually, you can walk to anything in Solvang; it's that small). After slurping down hot miso soup and green tea, Mom ordered tempura veggies and chicken, Grandma ordered the Phillie roll, and I ordered the best spicy tuna roll I've ever had. We all agreed this was the yummiest dinner (and, surprisingly,least expensive) on our trip. Over all, my dining experience was almost worry free. I ran a few miles each morning to give myself a little more peace of mind as well.

As soon as I returned home, I returned to my old ways. I grabbed a big box of cereal and a jug of milk, and ate until I was sick and threw up. This relapse was to be expected, but I'm back on track now. I'm trying my best to focus on the positive and appreciate the five days I went without a binge or purge. My dad has been super encouraging, and this morning he told me how proud he was of me. "You went five days Rachelle," he said, "you ran a marathon!"

I bought a new journal when I was in Cambria. Not only will it serve as a memento from my trip, but it will also help me in my recovery. Mary told me that by writing down my meal plan and goals, I'm planning not to binge. Instead of plotting to eat the whole kitchen and vomit it all up, I must do the exact opposite and devise a plan to succeed - which would be writing down what I'm putting in my mouth and sticking to Mary's nutrition plan.

Though my suitcase is unpacked and I'm back in my own house, the road trip is far from over. I'm still on the long road to recovery, and my mom and my grandma are still traveling with me. But this time, God is in the driver seat.

1 comment:

  1. O Rachelle, great post! So glad to hear you had a great time and very excited that in spite of a setback, you are able to get on with your recovery! Good girl! I've been thinking about you! Love you.

    ReplyDelete